FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help please - Royal Jordanian to Bangkok - a good idea?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:01 am
Dorowilson

Help please - Royal Jordanian to Bangkok - a good idea?

Hello,
Please can you advise me. I want to fly LHR-BKK return in November, in business class. I need a OneWorld carrier as I’ve decided to hang onto my BAEC Gold status. My options are limited. I had intended using Qatar but the World Cup has sent fares sky high. Finnair’s only cheap fare is via Stockholm, meaning a cramped BA Club Europe connection to London, rather than a flat bed. LHR-HEL-BKK is now c£2500+ for decent times - not good value for a rather utilitarian carrier. And this winter there’s no BA- hardly inspiring, but still a modest TP earning option.
This brings me to Royal Jordanian. It has obvious disadvantages, being only a 3 star airline, but it’s cheap, looks reasonably ok on video reviews and, more importantly, earns good Tier Points. I notice the LHR-AMM-BKK route earns 140 + 140 Tier Points each way although BA values LHR-AMM at only 80 TP. This is my point. Can you tell me please? When I try to transfer the tier points to BA, will they give me only 80 for the LHR- AMM leg or will I get 140 because I earned them on a RJ aircraft and on a RJ ticket? Also, are there any major disadvantages in using this airline? I know times have to be coordinated carefully as there are not many flights and that they’re mean with Avios. This fare’s below £1700 on Skyscanner. It’s cheap but am I being a fool? I feel everything’s poor value at the moment so perhaps it’s time to take a punt on a cheapo!
I’d really appreciate your views please. Should I go for Finnair instead! Or any other airline you suggest? Or should I take a totally different strategy and ignore TPS and fly with someone like SQ, ( although it’s Star Alliance) as it’s currently offering a terrific deal and do some separate day trips like LHR-HEL for my tier points instead? It smacks of desperation, I know, but it all depends on how poor the other options are.
Please do comment. Thanks so much.