FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:29 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by asovse1
Was flying YYC-HNL on a 7M8 over the weekend, noticed we were on FIN 501 so I had very high hopes for Wi-Fi, especially because I was running behind on work and could benefit from an hour of internet before we were over an ocean.

There was an announcement saying Wi-Fi was available after taking off, the SSID was broadcasting, and the IFE was advertising it.

Despite everything, I couldn't log in and use my pass, the splash screen told me to wait until later in the flight. I waited until after drink service (over the US border) to ask and the FA was very sure that all 7M8s weren't equipped with Wi-Fi.

Confused as to why she said that (their colleagues made an announcement to the contrary earlier), I panicked and said that we were "on FIN 501, which has internet", which is probably not the best wording when I could given a load of other evidence that Wi-Fi was available onboard.

Again, she reiterated "this type of aircraft doesn't have Wi-Fi"

15 minutes later, I asked the same question to the SD coming by and said "oh we just have to flip a switch for that" and sure enough I was online for the a solid ten minutes before we lost coverage over the ocean. Three of those minutes were navigating the archaic Wi-Fi pass login.
You're telling me the new system on the 7M8 isn't a global satellite system? Everything newer than the 320 is using Gogo 2Ku, and it definitely works over the ocean.