FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated EWR connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:03 am
NelsonsTriffle

EWR International->Domestic connection

Will be flying BER-EWR-IND in June, on a Sunday. Was originally booked through IAD with a 3h layover but they pulled the BER-IAD route so I had to rebook through EWR, 2.5 hour connection. I've (successfully) transitted in the US before with a tighter margin than that, so I wasn't too worried. United have just changed the EWR-IND segment for the third time in as many weeks, and now my itinerary is as follows:

BER-EWR 09.50-13.10 (UA 963)
EWR-IND 14.47-17.07 (UA 3555)

Which makes the connection 1h 37 minutes. This is too risky, correct? EU passport + ESTA with hold luggage - I will have to clear immigration, customs, change terminals (B-C), recheck bag and clear security whilst not holding any queue-jumping privileges.

Alternative is a 3h 47 minute layover and taking UA 3616 to IND instead which departs at 16.57. I do not want a 4h wait but it's also imperative I get to IND that night with as little disruption to the trip as possible. I can't see the shorter layover working unless I'm very lucky and UA 963 lands ahead of schedule, but it will still be peak time for international arrivals, end of school year in Europe so packed flights, NY airspace, etc. Re-routing involves two layovers and a 7am start which I refuse to have as working until 1am the night before.

What is your advice? Many thanks!