FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to Houston
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:45 pm
djp98374

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Will be back Saturday night for another week. This time with the wife. Nine properties in Missouri City to see on Sunday. Two more in Houston very near to my workplace, two in Manvel and one in Pearland. I work very close to AVEVA stadium.

Last week the weather was pretty wonderful. I was told to savor it by my coworkers.

I'm really liking what I've seen so far. My coworkers and people in the general population are all pleasant. I also like the racial diversity compared to the Pacific Northwest.

my own opinion….

My moms sister has lived near Columbus, TX for 40+ years. I’ve been down to visit multiple times over the years. One of her sons live in immediate hoystonnarea, her other son lives in Dallas, and the eldest son lives about equidistant of San Antonio and Houston south of I-10.

the best time for weather is roughly November-early April. The other times it’s a sauna.

Portland is dry in the summer and humid in the winter. Houston is not.

look at where you place is relative to water bodies.

talk to the local county/ community area on flood zone risk areas and evacuation zones fir hurricanes.

you will need to have ready an emergency kit. You keep all your important documents in one place as well as items you might need.

living in Portland you might have experience driving in snow and ice, people in texas don’t and they don’t have equipment. The littlest snow on the ground causes panic driving.

given the problems with the electric grid, make sure to check what your ho e is on. Some communities have price locks/ max amt while others do not.