FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Phnom Penh REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:35 pm
js1993

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
A few days in Phnom Penh seems like overkill, though I shouldn't presuppose your reasons for visiting! What draws you to Phnom Penh rather than Siem Reap or another more culturally rich destination? I've done three trips to Cambodia and I was hard pressed to fill 10 hours in Phnom Penh. I visited Tuol Sleng (the Khmer Rouge prison/museum), the Killing Fields, and the national museum and frankly none are what I'd consider well done. (It's sad, but lots of Cambodian youth don't believe in the Khmer Rouge history -- and unfortunately the way the Killing Fields site is set up, it's not too surprising why... it reeks of propaganda even though I honestly believe the history. The patch of "look at the bones sticking out of the ground" dirt was utterly ridiculous. Anyhow.) I flew in, hired a dedicated taxi for the day for $40 (cash upon completion), and left my stuff in the cab while touring. Then flew out that evening. It was also adjacent to a trip to Vietnam.
I was in Phnom Penh right before Covid, after several days in Siem Reap, and enjoyed my time there. Tuol Sleng and the Killing Fields took up most of one day, and a half-day architecture tour and an evening river dinner cruise took up another day. The architecture in P.P. is great. The market, in particular, is spectacular. I really enjoyed just wandering around the city.

I don't believe the under-construction Hyatt (which we went past on the architecture tour) had been topped off in fall 2019, so I was surprised it opened as quickly as it did.