FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:33 pm
gnomey

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
Just wanted to report back my experience with the HALO/LAMP test - both me and my travel companion did this test and we will NEVER do this again. Main reason was the sensitivity of the test. Mine was fine, but my travel companion's sample was rejected. We followed the rules of not eating/drinking 30 mins before testing.
In the end, luckily we managed to get a slot for the usual Rapid Antigen test at T3 the next morning before our 11am flight.

All in all, really do not see the difference between this LAMP test and the Rapid Antigen test (offered by HALO) - yes I understand LAMP is sent to a lab, but during the sample taking, there's no supervision, so how is that even in a controlled environment. They can also just offer the Rapid Antigen test with the person on duty supervising the test and therefore making it valid.
Wasted the $$ for this LAMP/NAAT test.

Cheers!
RT-LAMP can be performed outside of lab setting. it doesnt require thermocycling like PCR.

but yes, between antigen and RT-LAMP, it's easier to do antigen