FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA 2595 (CTA) Cancelled - A night in Soffitel
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:43 am
bafan

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think it is a critical question. If BA was unable/unwilling to offer the OP accommodation (and ideally, if that is documented), then I think that the OP have a strong case to make their own and BA would find it hard to justify using their own internal, arbitrary limit to cap reimbursement.

If, by contrast, the OP just did not want to queue, or preferred to organise their own stay (not least because quite understandably, they find the Sofitel a lot more convenient than the alternatives BA would have likely come up with at this busy mass IRROPS time) and did so without asking BA first, then I think that BA has a strong case especially given that clearly, cheaper alternatives did exist…
I had an overnight delay in AMS a few years ago, and I saw the huge queue for the beleaguered BA rep. Fearing that they’d run out of reasonable hotel options by the time I was seen, I booked myself in to one of the airport hotels (Marriott or Hilton). I claimed the cost of the room and dinner at the hotel, and BA paid without question. I don’t think my actions were unreasonable, and obviously BA didn’t either.

But, as I said, it was a few years ago, so maybe BA’s attitude may have hardened, though I think I’d still do the same again now.