FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Assigned Middle Seat in Club Europe
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:12 pm
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The reason it can STILL be called Club Europe is because this has been the Business Class model within Europe for 30+ years now. Only in Europe nobody kicks up a fuss that the seat isn't substantially more opulent or offering significantly more legroom than Economy to a degree that the airlines are forced to reconsider the model. People are still stumping up the cash fares after all this time so something about it is clearly working.
Interesting take given how Europeans go apoplectic over what's marketed as First Class in the U.S.

Originally Posted by KARFA
well it is certainly a loss of one element of the CE service, but it is not a downgrade to Y considering that all the other elements which remain unaffected.
This suggests that the airline could move your seat from long-haul business to coach but still provide you a business class meal and lounge access and free checked bag and weasel their way out of the EC261 downgrade compensation. I hate the term, but it is a slippery slope here. IMHO, the seating/personal space is the ONLY thing that should be factored into defining a downgrade. I do think someone should file for a 75% refund, particularly an elite who has a free bag, priority security/boarding, and lounge access already and thus the only benefits of J are space and a meal, and the space was taken away. I think it's a pretty good case...