FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Assigned Middle Seat in Club Europe
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:38 am
subject2load

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
……………………… This is because of BA's commercial decision not to invest in redundant IT systems and sufficient staffing levels. They caused this, they should take ownership, and 10k Avios is not good enough.

That’s always assuming BA do actually pay it ! Judging from a previous lengthy thread prompted by the last spell of middle seat ‘unblocking’ (which was way back in …. er …. February), the response to passenger claims / complaints has a familiar inconsistency : where one passenger was indeed handed 10K avios, another received nothing more than a #sorrynotsorry email.

My longstanding perception of ET as far better vfm than CE is only strengthened by these happenings. I had toyed briefly with the option of upgrading some of my own upcoming s/h trips ; but the prospect of further middle seat fiascos - coupled with a potentially tedious fight for some form of acceptable compensation - just puts another tick in the not worth it column.

On a more fundamental note, I firmly believe that passengers would be FAR more accepting of a (sometimes last-minute) removal of the single biggest benefit of the CE cabin if BA were to adopt a truly proactive and uniform approach. By which I mean, on those occasions where there is a genuine, justifiable need for this sort of hard product ‘downgrade’, a clear communication covering appropriate guaranteed compensation levels should be issued promptly.

There is no question that BA are far from alone in making things difficult for customers where matters of compensation are concerned. Everyone has experience of dealing with countless consumer businesses which create various obstacles and hurdles for those seeking legitimate redress : a strategy followed by pretty much all corporates which choose to place greater value and priority on bottom-line profitability & shareholder return than on customer service and long-term loyalty. Perhaps one difference which sets BA apart is their senior management’s oft-repeated aspiration to restore BA to premium status when - for the most part - decisions and culture adopted by Willie Walsh and his successors point very much in the opposite direction.