FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 miles short of 2k EXP qualification challenge in 2021 - any hope?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:52 pm
cova

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by js1993

How many times do we need to go through this? The people who made EXP in 2019 did so at higher spend and higher mileage than the entitled 2021 crowd, but then weren't able to use most of the best benefits. The 2019 EXPs would not, in any way, be getting a big undeserved freebie by being extended once more now that the world is starting to re-open.
We are beating this to death - but one more time (last time) - point - in 2019 I was close and wasn't even offered a buy up. I think at that time AA was trying to shift more people down to Plat Pro.

To be clear - I earned EXP in 2021 at the old qual levels - and even ended at 130K EQM - getting the tier reward. I started flying again in April 2021 after being full Vac'ed. I was never extended or needed to qual at the reduced levels. I had already earned Plat Pro in just the two months of Jan and Feb of 2020 (at the old qual levels). Had no flights for 13 months, but then earned EXP at old levels in 2021 starting April 2021.

AA was overly generous in extending EXPs with no travel for 2 years But in 2021 they required some promo - either CC only spend or $2K spend in the specified time. I don't fault the OP, I would do the same. I hope they get the extension. AA no longer does soft landings and many people have dropped status.

Situation is - the OP did mileage runs end of the year to requal but unfortunately miss calculated by $4. I can understand wanting EXP to requal at 11X per dollar spent on flights versus 7X as Gold. .

I really do hope the OP gets it (this is FT). AA is offering buy ups to some that did not qual or meet the promos. Although I doubt AA would offer a buy up to EXP for someone that did not qual even at the reduced gold levels (but LT Gold). Many have dropped to their LT status Plat or Gold.

Just my opinion - AA might have been flexible in the past if someone just missed the EQD or EQM requirement or at least offered a minimum buy up. However, just guessing they may be less flexible with a promo offer.

But let's see - hope the OP let's us know how this works out. No hard feeling - this is a discussion of different opinions.

Last edited by cova; Mar 27, 2022 at 8:04 pm