FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much are the Certificates really worth?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:29 am
Horace

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cfischer
Actually it must have ... how else could you use a 35k certificate at a 44k hotel?
It's not a 44K hotel. It's a "35K hotel" that offers higher category rooms for 35K plus a cash upgrade fee -- or for 35K + 9K for a total of 44K.

But you asked a good question... and I don't have a good answer.

Yes, I agree something has changed with the system. I'm not sure this is the full "top off" functionality yet. But, in the past, Marriott.com would only have accepted the free might certificate for a standard room, not a room requiring more points for a higher category.

Going forward with the elimination of categories, the question is whether Marriott Bonvoy will still have base points and upgrade points -- or simply dynamic point rates for various categories?

In other words, if there's a hotel with standard rooms for 35K and junior suites for 50K, will I be able to use an "up to 50K" certificate to pay for the junior suite? Or will the certificate still only cover the 35K portion of the 50K junior suite?

Last edited by Horace; Mar 27, 2022 at 10:50 am