FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help navigating AF EU261 claim
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:01 am
LikeaGVI
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by brunos
Would be useful if you did not kep XXX a secret. Where is XXX,, is that in US?
Was XXX-CDG on AF and ticket issued by AF.?

You accepted the rerouting and arrived earlier than your initial itinerary, I am not sure that it qualifies for EC261.
If you had flown the proposed itin with a delay of a day, you would have been eligible for 600 and cost of care, but in your situation?
Certainly didn't mean to be so secretive, but yes XXX is the US. Ticket was issued by KLM (074) but all flights were on AF and they operate as one company essentially.

In terms of your second point - I completely see your rationale and it's why I made this post to begin with. Yes, I accepted a routing that got me me home earlier, but not because I all of a sudden wanted to leave or go home earlier. That's why I'm confused. I lost 2 nights of prepaid hotel at the 12 Apostles in Cape Town, 2 days of prepaid car rentals, lost money from a non-refundable private great white shark diving tour in Gansbaai. Those costs alone would be well over €600. I would think AF would jump at the chance to repay the €600 and call it a day. The only other option would have been to accept the delay (which was AF fault - no weather, no ATC) which would have required them to pay the €600. So I don't really understand the logic "you accepted the routing and got home earlier" when that was never what we wanted, but the only option that didn't get us home severely delayed (24-hours).

Our original flights:
AF CPT-CDG 12:20am - 10:30am (same day)
AF CPT-US 1pm-3:30pm (same day)

Delayed flights:
AF CPT-CDG 10:20PM - 8am (following day)
AF CDG-US 1pm-3:30 (following day and a full 24-hours later)

Last edited by LikeaGVI; Mar 24, 2022 at 6:24 am