FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:56 pm
seigex

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Hi all, I've booked a ticket in May (a month and a half from now) on JL metal using AS miles that has JFK - HND and HND - GMP on the same ticket, following the announcement that Korea is opening for tourists. Flight numbers are JL 5 connecting to JL 95. There is a 3 hour layover at HND. I am a Canadian citizen who is not currently allowed to enter Japan.

I believe this itinerary is okay, since both flights are on the same PNR and I shouldn't have to leave HND. Is there anything else I should take into consideration? Is it generally advisable to look into backup plans in case, for example, JL changes one of the flights to NRT making the connection impossible?
I see no problem. In and out of the international terminal of HND, less than 24 hours, 3 hour layover. Sounds like you're good to go.

Neither JL5 nor JL95 will randomly change a flight to NRT. There were some changes pre-covid and at the beginning of COVID as they were moving international flights from NRT to HND, but I haven't heard of that much recently, and not likely for flights in the next 90 days. Only time that would happen is if the actual flight is canceled and they move you to a new flight, or you are diverted for some reason (unlikely).