FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada CEO apologizes, commits to learning French as backlash in Quebec grows
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:13 am
VoodooYYC

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by respectable_man
You’ve obviously never had to interact with any AC employee during an IRROP…. I mean: there are already so few of them around. If you have any difficulty with English in YYZ you are SOL with finding help on the floor. Tho come to think of it even if you are a polyglot you will have trouble getting help in YYZ during IRROP.
I don't think that's an issue that's exclusive to AC. I would assume that if you speak to an agent for any airline at YYZ, you would have difficulty communicating in any language except English, hence why there are phone lines. Why is AC held to a higher standard? If they are required to staff bilingual agent positions, shouldn't everyone else have to do the same?

I wish the feds would consider a legislation change, and free AC from these arcane rules that were imposed when it was still a crown corporation. They should be free to be HQ'd where they choose, and observe the same operational requirements surrounding official languages that Westjet, and all other Canadian carriers, does.