FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:30 am
The _Banking_Scot
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by MKB
The wiki at top says this is one of the Diamond benefits:
  • Complimentary daily afternoon delights (see here for pic) with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley
Unfortunately, this is incorrect on two counts. There are no afternoon delights. We were told these stopped about a year ago. We are currently sitting in Peacock Alley -- oddly named, as it's a big squarish room -- and the only complimentary food is a bowl of peanuts.
The choice of spirits is far from "fine". The choice is:
Beefeater
Absolut Blue
Ballantine’s Finest
Plantation Dark
These are low quality brands I wouldn't expect to be anywhere near a five-star resort.
As we were close to finishing our first cocktail, the waitress asked if she could get us something else, so I asked for a Heineken, and was politely but firmly told that I could not order again until my first drink was completely empty, so I didn't really understand the point of the question.
Despite receiving an email explaining that drones were banned as guest privacy was paramount, we have just been filmed by a couple posing underneath their drone. Apparently they have permission and this is fine.
While our reef room here (5 nights on points) is the best we have had in the Maldives, the initial impressions of service and soft product are unfavourable.
I contrast today with the happy "hour" at the Conrad, for example, that would typically overrun by 45 minutes and where waiters would come round to warn you when it was about to end. The staff here do not even engage in friendly chat. It's all very stiff.

Hi MKB,

Thanks for that. I have taken the liberty of modifying the wiki to reflect the downgrade to peanuts.

I have not stayed here so cannot comment on other aspects of the wiki if incorrect ( IIRC there was one poster who did an excellent job on the wiki ( MaldivesFreak?) but have not seen him post for quite some times.

Regards

TBS