FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Optional Face Masks - will BA follow?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:44 am
AirbusA350

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Unfortunately if you know anything about twitter, your algorithm is what makes you see what you do. Twitter is actually, in no way, left leaning.

As someone that has worked in the NHS throughout the pandemic, the Uk has been awful with masks, abusing the sunflower lanyards and with a lot of grown ups throwing their toys out of the pram because they didnt want to wear one. The numbers of admissions in the hospitals are going up again since everything was dropped and businesses like wilko are telling staff they wont get paid if they test positive and have no symptoms and dont go to work.

I, for one, am glad they are keeping the masks. And to the person that said its not going to kill you if you get it on a plane.. its not killing you.. but some passengers may have relatives that could get very sick. Not to bring up long covid. I assume most of you, like myself, are not the youngest of people? Knowing a few staff members that have long covid, its not a good thing to have.
I also worked and still work in the NHS, in a clinical role (not that it matters but figured I must say for context), I believe you have misunderstood, or potentially I might not have made myself clear when insinuating the UK has been good with masks. A country that’s been compliant with masks and excellent is Spain, in terms of compliance, UK has been poor.

What I was trying to say is that the general UK’s attitude towards masks has better than what Twitter suggests and better than what say the US perceives it, ie. in both these spheres, mask-wearing is attached with a nonsensical political attachment rather than a health consideration. Now if you re-read what I said, I was stating that the UK in general (outside of Twitter echo chamber, which I am aware can skew to one side of the other, it’s never balanced, reasoned debate there!), has not viewed masks as a political issue and in general you will rather equal proportions of mask refusers and mask enthusiasts on all sides of the spectrum.

Irrespective of this, I still believe we’ve reached a stage where it needs to move to choice. We’ve got a lot of tools to protect us (ongoing boosters, new emerging treatments of which more will keep coming through as time goes by), you know as well as I do that the NHS is and was overwhelmed even before COVID at the slightest uptick, yes we have to protect our health systems to ensure they can safely deliver services, but also, we do need to move on or at least adapt in some way.