FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What if you hate onions & recipes call for onions?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:17 pm
corky
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I bought onion powder. Since corky said the powder could be strong I went w/ 1/2 of what was recommended. Learned a few things.

If one is sauteing (aka, carrots, celery, minced garlic, bell peppers), add the onion powder towards the end. I added everything together at the beginning & the powder started burning a bit/stuck to bottom of pot. I added a tad more olive oil. But then had to take the pot off the burner when i realized I forgot to buy rotisserie chicken when I was getting the onion powder. Luckily I had some frozen in the freezer that was already cut up for soup. Quick defrost & then cooked the chicken.

Then back to making the soup normally. Finish the saute, add the broth, chicken, egg noodles & bay leaf & finish cooking. It actually turned out pretty decent, although a slightly different flavor than I was expecting. I don't think that was due to the onion powder, but more due to the bay leaf (which was removed when the soup was finished). I'm wondering if the onion powder was even needed.

So, if using onion powder don't toss it in at the beginning if sauteing, the soup doesn't really need rotisserie chicken if one has chicken breasts cut/up ready, & maybe leave out the bay leaf. Also cut the recipe in half (for me). I followed the recipe ingredients pretty much according to the recipe & I have a LOT of soup left over. I think it would freeze though right, if I wanted to have some later? I don't think I could eat chicken noodle soup 5 days in a row.

Cheers.
I would not add onion powder to the saute of aromatics and as you said maybe not even needed. I would not add any dried herbs or spices to a saute..
I am wondering about this recipe...are you using chicken stock or water? If you are using already made stock, all of the seasonings and aromatics have gone into the making of the stock already so you just need to add your torn up chicken and noodles and maybe a few veggies if you want. If you are trying to make stock from scratch there should be chicken bones involved. It sounds like you are trying for something too complicated especially since you are a beginner. Why go to all this trouble? Either way...no matter what you cook, be sure to keep tasting as you go--do not wait until the end.
Freezing is fine although I think I wouldn't freeze the noodles...maybe make them fresh to add to the thawed soup when you want it again.
I am still not sure...do you hate the flavor or the texture of onions?