FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines Recalibrates Boeing 737-9 Order - Adds 737-8 and 737-10
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:01 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Tack
Marketing and planning did solid work on both markets and what would be needed to mature it. But Ray Vecci was trying to grow while cutting costs, I don’t know if you remember the joke about him removing one piece of French Toast from the three piece FC breakfast. Too many panic reactions by Vecci and AS on both Russia and YYZ flying to go into here, but suffice it to say they bit off more than they could chew. From the wrong jets to inter department squabbles. At least on that FC flight to YYZ you got your gold coin and the enjoyment of flying with the LGB based former SI crews. They were amazing. Cheers!
Getting a bit more OT, but relevant for people who are currently crying doom and gloom, the Vecci era was the only time, from the customer facing perspective, that I was just about to give up on AS. [There was another time I didn't fly AS for a year, but that was because an aircraft I had disembarked at about 8 AM fell into the Pacific later that day.]

As for the new aircraft I find myself currently scheduled on one - on a route that has been pretty much A321s for some time. First trip on a -9. Less than 2 months out so maybe the schedule and plane will stick.

And now, as far as biting off more than they could chew, how did they even have anything to chew on after those meal cutbacks?