FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bali returns.
Thread: Bali returns.
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:53 pm
clubeurope

Bali\'s (little) \"Grand Dame\"

Introduction Ah, Tandjung Sari... what's perhaps my most favourite hotel on the island. Established in the 1960s, and a claimant for the first boutique hotel in South East Asia, Tandjung Sari is a hotel that is very full of character. The hotel is upmarket, yet retains a very rustic, informal, and homelike feel; much like an Aman, but even more authentic if that makes any sense. The Waworuntus, who founded the hotel (originally as a personal home), remain the proprietors and still manages and oversees the day-to-day operation of the hotel. Tandjung Sari Restaurant Location Tandjung Sari is located towards the northern part of Sanur, near the old Grand Bali Beach and its sprawling golf course. It is located around 20 minutes from the Airport and 30 minutes from Ubud by car. Around the area is the very exclusive Batujimbar Estate, many old but great cafés and restaurants, as well as other hotels like the Maya, and the old Bali Hyatt compound (now occupied by Hyatt Regency and Andaz). Sanur Beach does offer a brilliant stretch of white sand beach (that was interestingly brought there from Nusa Dua in the 80s when Sanur's original beach eroded) and is a great place to take long seaside walks. Check In As we went up the driveway to the lobby, the beautiful landscaping instantly reminded us of our last stay. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a staff member who took our luggage. Check-in was done at the lobby and was preceded with a sounding of their gong. Whilst the staff member who checked us in didn't explictly greeted us by name, she immediately recognised us and welcomed us back. We were promptly checked-in and brought to our room. Room This time, we stayed in a Two-Storey Bungalow, which as the name suggests, is split between two levels. The first floor is where the bedroom and bathroom are located, whereas the second level houses a small living space with a sofa and a desk. Whilst the room did look rather aged, it was full of character and was in remarkably great condition. Apart from the discolouration of the terrazzo flooring, there weren't any other obvious signs of wear and tear. I particularly loved the usage of the rattan ceiling which gave the bedroom a rustic feel. A small plate of fruits was left in the room as a welcome amenity, along with a nice letter welcoming us back to the hotel. Two Storey Bungalow BedroomTwo Storey Bungalow BedroomUp a very nice spiral staircase was the small living space, which to me looked like the interior of a Phinisi boat. Whilst the sofa wasn't the most comfortable for sitting, it was useful as a daybed, which combined with the sea breeze, made it an especially relaxing place. Two Storey Bungalow Upstairs Living AreaPorch and stairsThe spacious bathroom consisted of a shower and a separate oversized tub.Bathroom Dining Our room rate included breakfast, and it was served every morning at the hotel's namesake restaurant. The food quality is excellent, and likewise, everything tasted wonderful. The juices were all made fresh as well. I have nothing but good things to say about the food at Tandjung Sari. The breakfast menu consisted of several dishes ordered from a set Ã. la carte menu. The set consisted of one main course of Western and Indonesian as follows.I more or less stuck to having their Eggs Benedict, which I found to be perfectly executed every time. I also had a Nasi Kuning (tumeric rice), which was very nice but not precisely up my street. The pastries were as always delicious. Though they weren't very crispy outside, they were very fragrant and flaky. They were served with some butter and a couple of homemade jams, of which the marmalade had to be amongst the best I've had anywhere (fresh, tangy, not too sweet).Nasi Kuning tumeric riceFruit plate and fresh Kintamani orange juiceFruit plate and fresh Kintamani orange juiceFrench toastEggs BenedictRestaurant Service Service at the hotel is generally excellent. Although some may seem rather reserved at times, the staff members were very friendly, courteous, and polite. Most members of staff appeared to know who we were and where we were staying, so we almost never had to mention our room numbers. Staff members were, for the most part, proactive. For instance, upon seeing our discomfort being directly exposed to sunlight at breakfast, we were proactively offered to move to a table with more shade. Furthermore, our room is turned down proactively each night. Amenities The hotel has a small swimming pool by the restaurant (and consequently, the beach), which was decorated by a few beautifully eclectic signs. We saw that it was mostly used by children as opposed to adults, which made sense considering its size.Swimming PoolThe hotel also has direct access to a narrow strip of white-sanded beach (which like anywhere in Bali, is legally shared with the public) along with several lounger chairs that can only be used by hotel guests.BeachAlso available is a very well equipped gymnasium behind the reception, which given the hotel's size, is very impressive. Overall Overall, the old Tandjung Sari is anything but an aging hotel. Every aspect of the property is very well kept and maintained, whilst also retaining a very authentic and historical character. I would say that the hotel is a great base to start one's journey in Bali, and arguably the best hotel in the Sanur area. Whilst the hotel's historical charm might not appeal to everybody, I am sure it is especially attractive to those who wish to immerse themselves in local culture within the comforts of their accommodation.