FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)
Old Mar 8, 2022, 2:13 pm
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Just because you don’t like people responding to you with how the program works along with pointing out that other airlines operate in a similar manner does not make a person an apologist of any type.

It’s clear you don’t like how the program works but don’t take your anger out on others. Or better yet, don’t post on a public website and then not expect others to respond.
To be frank, I have no idea (still) with what your point was. And it's not that I don't "like how the program works", its that I think this very specific aspect of the program is deceptively hidden in all of AA's marketing about benefits. Plenty of opportunities for them to make it clear that you can't have 500 mile upgrades when you have more than 2 people on a reservation. And/or to make clear that the benefits for 'up to 8 people on the same reservation" (and similar) are null and void for all but you+1 if you want placed on the upgrade list.
And, I think this hidden rule is also very very lame.

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Baggage allowances, seat assignments, boarding priority, etc.
If we are talking about people pooling on the same reservation, then,

Their Baggage allowances -- doesn't affect you (actually, may help you to have more of other people's bags checked)
seat assignments -- likely doesn't affect you (unless someone snagged the exact seat you wanted in MCE before you? We all know that half of MCE seats are given at boarding to Group 9. Anyone can pay to take that space too.)
boarding priority -- A few more people in front of you in line doesn't really affect you.

What this does affect is the Exec Plat (that earned their status with the advertised benefits) who realize when they travel with their family, they have 'choose' benefits.

For me, this is more than half of my trips of playing a game of do we risk splitting up the reservation (and giving up the third person's baggage allowance) vs. hoping for that 20% chance of an upgrade.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 10, 2022 at 10:17 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability; removed OT/meta barbs and comments