FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Around the World in 28 Days
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2004, 4:55 am
iainbhx

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Fit the Second, CX717, HKG-SIN, C, 14H

This one will be a bit short. I didn’t do well for jetlag on this trip and by the time it got to Monday morning, I had managed about 12 hours decent sleep out of the previous 72 hours. So details on this report are to say the least a bit hazy. However, all in all, it must be said that HKG is one of the cleanest airports I have seen, with good signposting and helpful staff. CX check-in was extremely pleasant and swift and within 5 minutes of getting there, I was trundling down to the Pier.

Now I know that a lot of people rave about The Pier as being one of the world’s best lounges, so I am going to offer a slightly contrarian viewpoint. The Pier is OK, it has nice facilities, but it isn’t the wonderful place that people claim it to be. Yes, I greatly enjoyed the Noodle Bar, the internet facilities were very well done, but the seating doesn’t enduce relaxation and simple things like orange juice weren’t easily available. Part from the delights of BBQ Pork Buns and that it was quite empty, I feel that BA does better with Terraces in the mornings.

Anyway, we boarded the 777-300 very smartly on time, I would have been quite interested in this flight normally because I have never been on a 777 of any type before. However, I was so tired that I really wasn’t that interested, all I wanted to do was get to SIN and sleep. My seat opponent was a middle aged gentleman who was running some form of skin-care product franchise, he informed me liberally about this and I admired his collection of top-level Frequent Flyer/Stayer cards.

Pre-departure drinks were of course served, I opted for the non-alcofrolic Cathay delight which was a virulent green in colour and actually rather pleasant.

As soon as we were airborne and the pings had gone, the drinks trolleys were wheeled out, it was during this that I noticed the great Champagne swindle that was going on. The menu promised Billecart-Salmon and bottles of it were paraded up and down the aisle with some gusto. What was actually served, fairly carefully wrapped to disguise it was Deutz. Myself, I opted for apple juice.

Brunch was then served:

Juice Selection

Fresh Seasonal Fruits

Omlette with Parsley, Grilled Veal Sausage, Parmentier Potatoes, Broiled Tomato with Herbs and Button Mushrooms
OR
Sautéed Prawns and Cucumber with Chili Paste, Steamed Rice and Baby Chinese Cabbage with Straw Mushrooms
OR
Chinese Dim Sum with Chili Sauce

Pear Charlotte Cake with Mango Coulis

Assorted Bread and Rolls, Tea and Coffee

I took the Prawns, two servings of the bread (which was offered around three times) and a mug of tea. I do like Cathay’s mugs, nice and large in a sensible earth tone. The Prawns were excellent.

After brunch had been served, there was another round of hot towels and the crew then retreated to the Galley for the remaining 2 hours of the flight. I must admit I was quite surprised by this, although it seems to be normal on most flights.

I, like my seat opponent, didn’t bother with Studio CX and just retreated into the laptop for the flight. Empower did not seem to be available.

So, I arrived at the much vaunted SIN airport. I must admit I wasn’t that impressed, it didn’t seem that special. I went quickly through Immigration, my bag came off at a reasonable rate and I walked out into 30 degree heat and high humidity to find a taxi. Thank goodness for all that time in North Carolina to innure me to such.

Hilton Singapore

By the time I got to the Hilton SIN, I was almost on the verge of collapse through tiredness. I was informed that I was being upgraded to the special HHonors floor. Of course, this is a faux upgrade, there’s nothing remotely special about the HHonors floor except for a nameplate.

I didn’t even unpack my bags, I slumped down head first on the bed and got four hours napping in.

When I awoke, I had a little host of cards under the door telling me that they had come to do turndown service and check the mini bar and gawd knows what else. Obviously, the Hilton SIN is one of those places which likes to pester its clients incessantly.

After showering and doing a minor unpack (I’m buggered if I am going to unpack a whole case for a two night stop), I venture out into the steamy heat of SIN to find foodstuffs. I had been recommended to eat at the local “Food Court” near the Newton MRT, this recommendation proved to be very good as for a mere pittance I enjoyed satay, crispy duck, rice, chilied vegetables, fresh fruit and a couple of large glasses of iced line juice. I then MRTed back to Orchard and wandered around looking for a couple of beers to act as sleeping aids. This proved to be an interesting experience as many of the bars close to the Hilton appear to be full of very forward young ladies, one of which (well, I think it was a lady but the hands were a bit dodgy) made me blush. I assured them all that I wasn’t interested in their solicitations and departed swiftly back to the hotel before they brought their brothers along.

Not only has the SIN Hilton created a separate Hhonors floor, but to refine it’s dodgy practices it also has a separate breakfast for those who cannot see the pleasures of the Exec lounge. Whilst held in nice surroundings and perfectly acceptable, it was certainly less than the downstairs offerings which were included in my rate until the mysterious faux upgrade.

I spend most of my second day in SIN being a tourist and shopping. I had great meals at Blue Ginger (lunch) and at the Maxwell Road Food Court (dinner) I got soaked by a sudden rain storm, I took pictures of pretty masjids, temples and colonial buildings and I bought various items including melatonin which worked like a dream – 7 hours solid sleep before the evil alarm clock awoke me with the news that it was time to go to Sydney.

I must admit, I had expected not to like SIN. Oddly enough, I rather enjoyed it and would return. Also oddly enough, should I decide to become an itinerant contractor again (as opposed to a pseudo-academentic), I’d consider a contract there. But I won’t stay at the SIN Hilton again.