FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:11 am
Bandicoot

Programs: Delta
I'm planning a trip to India later this month, BOS to BOM and back. If I understand correctly US vaccination status will be, or should be, accepted on the "Air Suvidha" form and there should not be any requirement of mandatory testing to enter India, and I would need a rapid test (or any test) before leaving India to return to the US. Is this accurate for travelers from the US to India, specifically, arriving at and leaving from Mumbai? Anecdotal accounts from friends traveling to India in the last few weeks have been confusing - there are suggestions that country of transit or the carrier matters, that the requirements are differently implemented or that there are different rules at the different airports DEL / BLR / BOM.

Are procedures at BOM relatively smooth? Is there any value to flying in through DEL or another airport in the hope of reduced time / hassle / nose swabs / etc. at the airport? (Obviously I would have to deal with the hassle and wasted time of domestic flights if I choose a different entry point, since my work will be in Mumbai.)

Do the carrier or transit country matter? If I had a choice, what would be best, fly the cheaper routes, through Dubai / Doha from Boston - or more expensive routes through AMS or LHR - or is there any significant advantage to taking the American Airlines' non-stop from (I think) Newark to Mumbai to avoid transit entirely? I heard some reports of passengers being treated differently if arriving on the middle east carriers. And with European carriers?

I also hear about some folks who are going to the trouble of acquiring various European vax proof cards / digital proof / etc. - not sure if any of that is needed or just carrying the US card will do. Will a digital form of the US card also work (scan or CommonHealth app or other) or is it advisable to carry the physical card at all times?

Please advise. Thank you. I usually consider myself reasonably good at navigating India's bureaucracy, but the covid situation has been more confusing than usual with rapid changes too.

I presume the test before leaving India for the US entry requirements will be easy to take care of - or are there any tips about that as well?

In case it matters - US citizenship + OCI visa.

Thanks!