FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:41 pm
js1993

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Raralith
I don't know what everyone else has posted since I'm not up to date, but I can think of a few:
1. If SHTF again and we can't fly for X months, we've got our status covered vs. trying to do various challenges
2. People collect status, looking at us as a huge extreme on one end
3. People that normally don't fly have the option of getting high elite status if they do start to fly

#3 is really where I'm going at, and whether we're making a bigger deal then it actually is. I do agree that there will be more higher tier elite status if CC LP is more then the old process and those people fall off elite status or go elsewhere, but I really question how impactful CC LP driven it will be, especially if the understanding is that they'd then want to buy Y just to upgrade to J/F which bumps one of us off. I get that this is FT, the more extreme side of the flying world, so we're an echo chamber on ourselves. The EXP that flies anyways and dumps it on a card is still going to be an EXP, it's the new players that use CC LP that sounds possible on paper just doesn't seem like it'll be as disruptive as everyone imagines.
If a lot of current EXP don't get bumped down the list, then AA's bean-counters will have failed.

The person who re-qualified as EXP in 2021 with $9,000 EQD now needs to spend $18,000 on flights to re-qualify as EXP in 2022, absent a mountain of CC and/or portal spending.

Meanwhile, I believe both Delta and United kept their 2022 thresholds the same or very close to 2021's. It will be very interesting to see whether DL/UA or AA was right about 2022.