FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad Koh Samui {THA}
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:38 pm
milelion

Recently stayed here for the third time (but 1st time post-covid).

Here's my tl;dr for those who have visited before
  • Occupancy was at 20% when I stayed in late January 2022, but the staff mentioned the resort was close to full in December 2021 before the Thai government pulled the rug on Test & Go. They expect things to pick up again in February and March, even more when the silly Day 5 test requirement is removed
  • COVID has taken a visible toll on the resort in some places. While the 1, 2 and 3-series villas are in good condition, several of the Residences have fallen into disrepair, with empty pools, construction debris and overgrown greenery. This may be contributing to a mosquito problem, which wasn't rampant, but definitely noticeable in some areas
  • Some of the fun touches have been eliminated, like personalised bathrobes and slippers, or free neck and shoulder massages at breakfast
  • Gold and Diamond members no longer get freebies like drinks coupons and the welcome lucky dip (where you could win things like complimentary spa treatment vouchers). They do enjoy 25% off F&B, but that's courtesy of Hilton's Dine Like a Member promo
  • Cost of spa treatments has fallen dramatically. A 60-minute body massage is now THB 1,400, versus THB 3,500 in 2018
  • The gym has been relocated from the swimming pool area to the breakfast area, and the resulting facility is state-of-the-art
  • The quality of F&B has improved tremendously, with the hotel now running its own farm (called Iris) and taking "farm-to-table" very seriously. They roast their own coffee, smoke their own salmon, rear their own chickens, grow their own fruits, churn their own butter...I could go on and on
  • Existing F&B concepts have been reinvented. Jahn operates as a private dining only venue, there's a reimagined Santorini-style pool restaurant called Azure, and Zest's menu is no longer a confused hodgepodge of Western and Asian dishes, focusing instead on Thai food. Cocktails at Ko Lounge are inspired.
  • Iris Farm is a must-visit, especially for those raised in cities who have no idea where their food comes from
  • The beachfront seating area has been upgraded, now with power outlets and USB ports
  • The resort now has its own jet ski, and the staff will happily offer you a 5-minute free trial
  • There's technically a THB 120 charge for drinking water at restaurants, but enforcement is lax. The staff would often pour ice water for free and not charge us anything
  • There was no requirement to wear masks when outdoors, though everyone wore masks when approaching the buffet line
  • Some beloved eating places in the vicinity like Green Talay have closed down

Feel free to ask me any questions about the Conrad USM experience post-COVID.

Full review: https://milelion.com/2022/02/25/revi...ui-post-covid/

Last edited by milelion; Feb 27, 2022 at 10:02 pm Reason: add link