FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What the is this? 5% Discretionary Service Charge - hidden fee!!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:30 pm
ChuckieB

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
this thread got picked up by Ben https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...rvice-charges/

OP you can decline to pay for these at checkout.
I take issue with this from Ben’s post “but at the same time, I also don’t want to be cheap and punish employees for this practice”.

I don’t see refusing to pay something they underhandedly add as punishing employees. Happy to pay the rate they post that is required to pay their staff appropriately and to cover the services they provide, or find somewhere else to stay, but this is a d$/k move and I’d be willing to bet a paycheck that it goes straight to the hotel profit line. On the other hand, since so many are doing things like this, I guess that it realistically just adds a few seconds to the search process to find.

I offer that when you find a hotel that isn’t adding these BS charges you should let them know up front if that contributed to your decision to stay with them. And frankly, if more of us called or wrote and said “I was going to stay with you, but saw your - insert fee here- charge and I decided to go to your competitor instead.”

Maybe if enough of us did so we could move the needle. Probably not, but it would have more potential impact than travelers complaining about it on FT and on blogs.

And that comment’s not pointed at you, OP, or anyone else commenting on this thread, just a general observation.