FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:18 pm
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
New one to me today. I was on the nonstop BTV-IAD flight this morning and checked a heavy (~62 pound) bag.

Upon landing, I went straight to baggage claim, though with the walk to the train, just missing the first train, etc., it took I got there apparently after the bags had already come out. Mine was nowhere in sight, and the app said "En Route" but listed "Delivered to Carousel 1" as the last scan.

I spoke with the baggage office, and the first guy felt it was on the oversized bag area. I didn't find it there, and the other agent suggested it may have been stuck so had the ramp staff run a bunch of trays through. They all came through fine.

My thought is that either someone took it by mistake (and it's a bright purple bag with a giant orange plastic name tag on it, hard to mistake next to the procession of black suitcases), someone stole it, or it's still in the belly beneath baggage claim at IAD. I've called a couple of times to check, but nothing yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This is the first time I've had a bag go missing that wasn't due to it missing a flight.

ETA: Had a very good Houston agent earlier when I called... she seemed to understand the entire scenario and had good suggestions; this time, when I called for an update, I have an offshore call center person (despite it being the "1k baggage line"), and have been on hold for 15 minutes. "Do you need your bag in Washington, then?" (Uh, yeah, that's why I called.) After that 15 minutes on hold, "Sir, your bag is in Washington." I asked why they haven't reached out to schedule delivery, and was told, "I don't have that information." Apparently, all he did was look at the scan (which shows it "delivered to carousel 1" as the most recent scan) in those 15 minutes and didn't even talk with anyone locally. Seems like time for a HUACA.

Last edited by exerda; Feb 17, 2022 at 3:13 pm