FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:31 am
Flying Machine

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by schneider4
Hi -

I've got a flight coming up via FRA, and my ticket is BE. I know that if I do nothing, a seat will be assigned to me at check in time. Right now, coach is only about 30% full, so I'm wondering if I'll have the option (either via the app or at the gate) to change my assigned seat (post checkin but pre boarding) to something in a less crowded row (non E+, I know). Or, should I purchase a window or aisle now for between $31 and $36. On a recent non BE domestic ticket, I was able to change my seat several times after check in (via the app) to be in an empty row, but I'm not sure how the app will behave on this new flight given that it's a BE fare.

Thanks for any guidance!
If Coach is now booked at about 30%, I would politely ask the gate agent for a change (look at the app for a specific seat that you like) and suggest that one. I didn’t see your status but if you’re a premier member of course ask for a E+ seat.. Best of luck and keep us posted.

PS: There will not be any free changes available via the app post check in