FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed—parents denied boarding LHR/proof of vaccine
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:56 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's always sad to hear of avoidable problems like this. This forum has been pretty good, I think, at trying to weave people through the various rules and to encourage people to ask if they are not certain. For all the complaints we have about VeriFLY this would have fallen at the first hurdle in a way that could be fixed. Maybe this story will deter someone else doing the same, but from what I've heard this is not an unusual occurence at LHR, despite all the messaging, the emails the newspaper articles and website information. I must admit to wonderment of people turning up for vaccination with their cards all lined up and in some cases wrapped in plastic cases, but these cards aren't particularly secure, hence the UK government has come up with a fairly robust vaccine certification process, which is also aligned with the EU's certification and a de facto global standard. At least the OP's family will get the FTVs to work into more a replacement flight.

What is even more annoying is that with a bit of dexterity on a mobile phone, it is possible to conjure up these certificates in about 20 minutes or so, so long as they have data like their NHS number handy. Now it's also the case that not every pensioner (and I am one myself) is app-centric, but it can be done with a bit of help.

But yes, check, check and check again, and take nothing for granted!