FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Introducing Skywards+
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:39 pm
hyslopc

Originally Posted by EKfreak
I have heaps of Miles in my amex and Emirates account... If i want to use a reward upgrade so i will buy the economy flex ticket then upgrade straight away to business. But say i only have 200K points in my emirates account yet the upgrade award takes 240K points but with the skyward + membership would give me a discount and make it 200K points - can you do that or do you have to have the FULL amount of points in your skywards account before booking a upgrade reward?
I'm pretty sure you only need 80% (200k in your case). When I upgraded now, it didn't show the pre-discount price at all, it just showed the upgrade as costing 48k points (usually it costs 60k). Two things to note:
1. It took me 24 hours before the discount showed, so plan on buying your subscription at least one day before you need to upgrade.
2. Don't buy a Skywards+ subscription on the 1st of the month (see above).
3. You can't always upgrade immediately to business. When booking, it will show whether you can upgrade instantly or not. Note as well, that sometimes it says you can't upgrade instantly even when you can.