FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:59 pm
Shygirl

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I typically don’t buy BE, but any seats you had available to purchase on your BE tickets are the same ones you would have been able to select for free on a regular economy ticket. If there was no option to buy seats when they were BE, wouldn’t be much of a surprise to else there were no comp. Selections available after upgrading the fare type.

sorry you had to learn the hard way.
So, these seats in white that I'm seeing for purchase would have been complimentary if I had selected Economy in the first place? Since I upgraded to economy these are the seats I have to now purchase? That seems so silly. The difference in ticket prices from basic Economy vs regular economy was $ 299 pp vs close to $700 pp which seemed crazy.

I should have went with delta/Jetblue/AA which was more money up front but would have been cheaper in the long run. They didn’t have all these caveat that you seem to have to navigate with united. I rarely fly so this is a lesson learned and something I will be mindful of in the future. I wonder if I contact united if I can have my ticket downgraded back to basic economy and refunded. It's the principal of the matter. I don't like feeling like I'm double paying for something.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unoccupied Preferred seats are free to any passenger at Check-In

Unoccupied economy seatmap coding
So at check in the united economy seats will be available for me to choose and it's not going to be a case of United assigning random seats for me? My thing is I'm flying with first time flyers and anxiety about traveling will be at a max level. So it's important for us to be seated together and not randomly placed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2022 at 2:40 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member