FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:50 am
Utskicat

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyingabe
I am looking at GUC/RUC availability from LAN and have tried a bunch of random dates/places and have noticed no GUC/RUC availability.

For example Mar 28, LAN>DTW>LAX>KOA DL5439,DL2528, DL1077 has no availability, but then Mar 28 DTW>LAX>KOA Same flights has first available with a GUC.

Same thing with June 7th, LAN>DTW>ATL>JNB DL5071,DL520,DL200- but DTW>ATL>JNB on the same flights show First available DTW>ATL and PS and Delta One available for ATL>JNB

This holds true for about the last 20 searches I have made. I don't remember this being an issue before but I have only used RUCs twice in the past. Only thing I can think of is because the LAN>DTW has no first class so it doesn't show the RUC or GUC to be available

Any ideas on this? Would a phone agent be shown different availability?

Hoping it is just a bug with the implementation of the new rules... any thoughts would be appreciated...

2nd Question- Previously always held on to selecting the RUC till I had a trip in mind, now I would prefer to have them in my account (So I don't have to wait a day for the certificate to populate), does any one see a downside to selecting the RUC/GUC now? All '22 RUC/GUC will be valid until Jan 31 2023. Only downside I could see is if Jan 31st rolls around and I didn't use it, I could of selected something that would have some last minute value (20k miles etc)

Cheers!
This was explored yesterday in the now closed thread about website indicators, so its good for us to expound here.

The new upgrade availability rules are based off of revenue fare buckets mostly (with the exception of RUC on D1 which is still hidden inventory OY). Revenue fare buckets use something called married segment logic. You can google it for more info, but basically, a fare bucket seat may be available point to point LAN-DTW and DTW-LAX but not all the way through when sold together LAN-DTW-LAX. DL agents and travel agents are forbidden from setting tickets point to point, they have to sell the segments based on connection. If a travel agent were to see a new ticket by inserting point to point segments they will get penalized $$$ by the airline. DL.com is showing you married segments when you look up the flights. However, in the case of upgrades (as least for now) you don't have to have married segments, you can apply upgrades point to point. So if LAN-DTW-LAX has no Z but each individual flight does, you are fine. The problem is that DL.com is not programed to look at segment by segment availability for the new upgrade indicators. I am assuming they will fix this shortly. However, I actually quite like it. In most cases the scenario is going to be exact opposite that you find yours in. There is going to be space LAN-DTW but not the longer flights. In the system prior to 2/1 you would get the indicator "some seats" on almost every flight but when you clicked on it, it was just the feeder flight that was available. In the interim, its safest to look up each individual flight. Or just get expert flyer, its a bit faster to go through all the flights.