FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:48 pm
happydad100

Dear Friends,

I called today (2/1) for a minor non GUC issue. But I got a good agent and asked her to look at my current reservation with a GUC.

The reservation is SLC>JFK>PRG with a return BUD>AMS>SLC (in Sept 2022). I cleared the JFK>PRG segment at time of ticketing (OY class). When I spoke with her, she told me the SLC>JFK cleared today under the new rules (OV class). So the outbound GUC was really a mix of new rules (SLC to JFK) and old rules (JFK to PRG). The agent didn't need to do anything to clear SLC to JFK (I selected seats in F without her help to re-issue, etc).

She told me she could clear me into PS (Premium Select) for the return AMS to SLC (and use the waitlisted GUC). She also told me that I could buy-up to PS and the GUC would clear for Delta One. Note: This must be a new inventory bucket, since Delta One (OY) was not available prior to Feb 1st. She also wondered if having the GUC upgrade requested would automatically move me to PS and use the upgrade (not confirmed this would actually happen, she just kind of wondered this outload).

Anyway, the upgrade to PS was $811. My threshold was $500--but I'm getting older and 'bit the bullet' and paid the $811 for Delta One for my wife and I (booked in OV class). I believe this was higher than if I had bought PS at time of booking. She was able to clear the BUD to SLC (KL) in Z class.

So my ticket is:
SLC>JFK (OV)
JFK>PRG (OY)
BUD>AMS (Z)
AMS>SLC (OV)

I haven't posted here for a while—but this forum has really helped me over the years better understand the in/outs. Thank you all for your contributions to this community!

Papa Ostler/Happydad100