FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: JFK-BKK $2409 RT Business
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:03 pm
Penguinmoon

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Completely agree with this. I work for a very large expat employer in Jakarta, and many of my colleagues have been burned trying to get home on JL due to HND and NRT transits.

What is a good source you use to check current policy? I haven't found one I've liked (frequent updates).

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
ICYMI, HND and NRT have had a pretty crazy timeline over the past 2 years where rules for transit can change so quickly, even as changing overnight. The rules for each airport regarding layovers have varied WILDLY over the past 2 years. From only allowing transfers to only certain nationals, certain transit times, or even allowing NO layovers to anyone except Japanese citizens. Tourists have been denied boarding at their origin airport if they had layovers in Japan.

So.. if you're booking this route with a layover in Japan, make sure you monitor the rules for NRT/HND on a weekly basis. Otherwise you can be denied boarding. There's a pretty good reason why we saw sub-$400 RT Y fares a few months ago for 2022 travel date US-Asia that either ended in Japan or lay-overs in Japan - tickets were cancelled and you received flight credit. GL YMMV