FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions on how to start using business credit cards
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:28 pm
osonda

Questions on how to start using business credit cards

I don’t have a business but want to get business credit cards for the points. I am considering creating an EIN for a sole proprietorship business and applying for business credit cards with it.

A few questions:

1 - Bloggers always say I can do that even if I don’t really have a "real" business, and that a side hustle will do. They say: “a business can be anything: selling on eBay, walking a dog, etc”. But why does that even matter if you are actually doing those things or not? Is the CC company going to check, and how could they? How does the CC company know you are performing these business activities, and what happens if you don’t?

2 - If I am just charging personal expenses to the business CC, does that matter? Does it have any implication for taxes (my scenario is EIN with sole proprietorship)?

3 - Is it legal/ok with the IRS if my revenue is near 0?

4 - Is it legal/ok with the IRS if I am charging personal expenses to the card? (I do not intend to deduct any of those personal expenses as business expenses when filing taxes.)

5 - Is it legal/ok with the IRS if I am paying the card from a personal account?

6 - I know I don’t need to file taxes separately for a sole proprietorship business, and that I do it in my own tax return. But do I have to include this business information in my tax return even if I am just using it for personal expenses and not deducting anything?

7 - Is there a limit for the number of business cards you can get (something like the Chase 5/24 rule)? What if I use multiple EINs?

Thanks in advance for your help.