FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:37 am
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Fortech
Good morning,
....Just wondering if many flights are being cancelled these days due to staff shortages and Covid?.........
@Fortech
Yes.
It's been mentioned in other threads.

There are some pilot and cabin crew shortages due to various issues, there are ramp crew issues, there is winter in Canada that varies in intensity and the bonus prize is whatever challenges the pandemic adds to that.

While I still managed half a dozen transcons in the past week+, on one day, I spent 14 hours at YYZ and never flew. On another day, our departure from there was delayed more than 1.5 hours as there were no ramp crews to do various tasks etc. As time wore on, plenty of people on the flight were starting to worry about their onward connections.

I may be an outlier, but I choose my flights and schedules to allow for more flexibility than whatever MCT says because that is always how I've flown. I don't care about other people who choose the shortest MCT. It may work for them but I do what works for me. And I am prepared to sleep in an airport. But that's me. I can appreciate that travelling with children or those needing mobility assistance can also be challenging.

Safe travels.