FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unethical Qatar: Upsell & collect charge for DOH Lounge already included in fare!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:41 am
ThunderStorm00

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
The QR Lounge Quagmire

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
My suggestion to the OP would be to avoid those pop-ups.
A passenger purchasing an "I" fare would be entitled for the Al Mourjan Lounge according to the fare bucket they are traveling.
For sure good advice for the OP, but My Parents nor my Siblings would know which Fare "Bucket" they might happen to be in — they would most definitely, and have done so in the past, choose any such Option to buy any Lounge offered during the Check-in Process as the safest bet; without even knowing whether or not they were already entitled to it.

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
On the positive side I have Al Mourjan lounge access and it gives me the opportunity to buy up to Al Safwa for 20% off the door price so I will add this for my trip in 2 weeks time.
May I ask how you have this access ?
Perhaps I am not understanding something...?
Do you simply HAVE this access to AM as part of this particular upcoming/present Segment/Itinerary being flown which you mentioned in your post and thus getting the opportunity to upsell to AS –
OR ...Do you instead rather always GET this opportunity to buy up to AS as part of having some level of Status in an FFP or another lesser known Program/Procedure ?

Asking because QR keep changing Rules every other month and much remains confusing and ever-evolving or rather devolving even for us OneWorld Emeralds passing through DOH on a Regular basis even in J on 16+ hour flights..

Originally Posted by hithesh123
How much would you have to pay for Al safwa?
I have paid anywhere from $68 to $95 (about same as AM) to up to $195
— For a brief moment in history, even Y pax could pay up for AS access..
To be quite frank, the only appealing thing to me about this AS as opposed to AM, is that I can get real/actual sleep on a 6–12 hour Connection/LayOver without having to deal with the Airside Airport (which is commonly booked up days in advance); or then leaving or having to leave the Airport for this purpose especially during these COVID times..

Originally Posted by surryson
I’ve had this too. Eligible for Al Mourjan but offering ‘up sell’ to Al Mourjan for £70pp. Al Safwa was also offered up until the day before travel for around £100pp from memory. Al Safwa disappeared as an option on the day of travel.
This same thing happened to me as well....

So would you say/hypothesize that Al-Safwa perhaps disappeared 4 Hours before your Check-In? or more like between 4 – 24 ??
Simply trying to figure things out. Thank you.
It's possible they release a limited number of Al-Safwa "seats" for Sale for us riff-raff in J coming off our 18+ Hours Flights.
-Not related but also know that the Incoming & Outgoing flight duration also has some factor in the final determination of the QR Lounge Dragon's formula which is sometimes computed LIVE 'at the scene'.

More recently on a flight from the US, I simply walked over to the "OneWorld Bank of Lounges" which they have created to skirt the OW Rules; only because I did not want to deal with the Dragons at any of these other 2 better known Lounges –
— In fact, for shorter Layovers I now immediately go straight to the Armani Restaurant, where right from the start after a long flight, I at least get a smile instead when I first walk in.

###

Last edited by ThunderStorm00; Jan 24, 2022 at 11:05 am