FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bad Seat Assignments at 24hrs
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:05 pm
Yellowjj

Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
I already hate having no assigned seats on Southwest, it is very unprofessional an unorganized.
Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it unprofessional or unorganized. You knew before you purchased the tickets what WN policies are; they didn't force you to fly with them.

I was in a situation where I had to use southwest I have a group of 2.
I checked in exactly at 24hrs and it gave me B49 and B50 with no chance of being seated next to each other.
Is Southwest doing this on purpose? I cant believe that everyone is paying $20 extra per person per flight for the early bird.
It sounds like you were on a flight that had a lot of continuing passengers (people who stay on the plane). In which case you would be behind all of them, plus early bird and elites. B49/50 sounds about right in that scenario on popular routes and doesn't preclude you from finding seats together albeit it might be at the very back. Early Bird remains popular for a lot of people who fly WN.

The funny part is when I checked in, it gave me the option to upgrade to the A 1 to 15 for $109 per person. They are insane.
I cant understand why they dont have assigned seating. You load the plane faster with assigned seats and then you dont have people stuck in seats they dont want. Their customer satisfaction has to be very low.
They gave you options to secure a better boarding spot and you chose not to partake; $109 suggests the flight was very full. WN actually has the fastest boarding process and least amount of gate crowding among the major US carriers. I don't think their customer satisfaction scores are hurting from their seating policy, judging by the years of constant profitability and passenger numbers. The reality is you went in knowing WN was not your cup of tea; so perhaps it would have been better to choose another US carrier for travel. Make sure you don't select basic economy on any of the rest either, as you don't get seat choices on those fares.