FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why can't you fly from the east coast (or anywhere near) to Hawaii if the times work?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:42 am
SWAVictor
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by swag
I recall having that conversation with a SWA phone agent around 1989. When told that they didn't fly DAL-LAX, and I asked about booking thru ABQ to do it, her exact words to me were "Great idea, sir!", as if I was the first to invent the Texas two-step.

And as I recall, when the ABQ connections weren't great, I had to be the one to ask her to also check ELP instead. She wasn't allowed to try alternate "connection" cities unless I asked.
The WA stuff slowly evolved, by '92 when I was hired, the conversation could be this simple:

I'd like to fly DAL-LAX
I'm sorry we don't offer that service
huh?
although we service both DAL and LAX, due to wright amendment restrictions we cannot offer service between those two airports. I can build you an itinerary, however it will be the combination of two fares and you will have to claim and recheck any checked luggage at the connecting point.

at that point, I could do all the searching to find you any connecting point that would get you to your destination - even check multiple options to try to find you the best fare.
our network was small enough back than, that I probably already knew the best connection for most destinations

In the office, I actually still have my original new hire training packet, including a route map that didn't even show the entire country!

Fun memories!

edited to add: ah, the good ol "google" has everything: