FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:09 am
Super Mario

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Or it can also drive away stays to the competition as well. Like in my case I can shift business to Hyatt to try to keep status there as well (would be hard to do this year if it wasn't for the Hilton credit card) and another person in my office is shifting more business there to keep status at Marriott since we'll both have the same benefits with a credit card with a negative fee and have the diamond status for the ten years needed for LTD. And why go for 1000 nights for LTD status when you can get it for free?

I' m praying the rumors are true about the Marriott credit card that will give out Platinum or even better Titantium status and I can be top status with all three chains, will help out a lot on travel, I can stay with the cheapest or most conveniently located chain knowing I'll get decent benefits.

I remember Richard Andereson used to say during the safety announcement videos on Delta flights that loyalty is a two way street. I think that is the case with Hilton, they keep making cutbacks and give status away so no reason to be loyal to them with stays either.
Sometimes, I believe you contradict the very points you will die on a hill for. You talk a lot about "earned status" and how much the people "buying it" ruin the brand. Yet you just advocated for Marriott to follow the same model for your benefit. Your more recent post also talks a lot about status matches. All of these things are companies trying to "buy" loyalty. It's quite clear you have taken advantage of such offers in the past. Staying with a particular brand for 60 days is not always feasible, even to those who travel frequently.

This reminds me of the AMEX Centurion Lounge discussion (or any kind of perk, free service, benefit, etc). Where everyone wants the better experience for themselves. Some believe the kids or family need to go. Some believe it's the young adults. Some believe it should just be for solo travelers. Etc etc. Ultimately, it's up to the company to decide how they want to roll out their benefits. In the case of Centurion, AMEX spoke loud and clear that their big CC spenders are their bead and butter.