FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United 2023 Qualifying Requirements (first The Points Guy, now UA.com)
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:23 pm
jpezaris

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Yes, Omicron + Staffing = No Promotions

From all my interactions with call centers, social media team, gate agents, a pilot, golf club baggage handler, etc, UA is running hot. Every function has authorized overtime for nearly every frontline position. They're barely holding on.
If UA staffing is anything like every other segment of the economy I've asked my friends and colleagues about, they're down between 30 and 50% right now. One segment I'm intimately familiar with is down 70% at the moment; the staff I manage is at 50%. Barely holding on is a good way of putting it: Everyone's just trying to get through the next 3-4 weeks.

Put it another way, UA may not currently have the staff to handle something like planning a promotion when they're busy just trying to keep the lights on. Witness the recent outage of mystatus.united.com that, if their initial statement was to be believed, should have been off-line for a planned 3-4 hours, but was offline for something closer to 48. An unexpectedly long time to accomplish a task is the sort of thing that happens when there's sudden understaffing.