FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:50 am
Visconti

Originally Posted by tangfish
It has all become a dumpster fire, and that’s very unfortunate because I think of the lost opportunities of new leadership happening at a time when there’s a drastic shift in the economy and the way people work. Some thoughtful long term strategies could have been a boon to Amex and earned a recommitment from longtime cardmembers as well as appealing to a new generation of businesspeople.
Ah, my guess is that they're having some trouble figuring out who those may be? When I was a young whipper snapper just starting out, I still recall being hypnotized and started to buy into the "new paradigm" crap they were selling right before the dot.com crash--I just didn't know any better. Thankfully, back then, those who did had tight training wheels on me to keep me from doing too much harm from the hubris that often accompanies youth. I think sort of the same thing is going on today. Until we get a reset exposing those swimming naked (it will happen at some time, rest assured), how does one differentiate from the new generation of actual sustainable businesses from those who are nothing more than glorified grifts?

Instead it seems Amex has an approach driven by inept PR people getting their inspiration from instagram and YouTube “influencers” who present lifestyles that don’t actually exist, nor are they things normal people would want to pay real money to try to achieve.
LOL...couldn't agree more, but it's something that's been going on for a while. You know, except for the last POTUS, I would never have seen first-hand how utterly ridiculous Twitter really is--I've yet to experience first-hand any other form of social media; except FT, if one calls it social media these days, but when I started out, these were just internet message boards. But, it's not just Amex trending with the absurd, have you seen WOH's marketing? I'm not even sure what they're trying to say to me.

How did it get this bad? How are they so out of touch? Sometimes I wonder whether Amex executives ever try to use their own travel or concierge services anonymously, aka eat their own dog food.
"Economic history is a never-ending series of episodes based on falsehoods and lies, not truths. It represents the path to big money. The object is to recognize the trend whose premise is false, ride that trend and step off before it is discredited." - George Soros

That's basically it, en masse--we're all doing it. So, I don't blame Amex for doing the same thing, and I suspect somewhere deep in the recesses of the C-Suite, a few realize what's going on.

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I wonder if I can resell my useless equinox membership to a millennial “hipster” on Facebook market place 🤪
LOL...why not? I mean, I've read where someone was able to sell an invisible piece of art for about $30K usd? Not sure if it was one of those Onion type pieces, and I didn't care enough to conduct any DD; but, if true, this era of peak stupidity has got to be near its apogee.