FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Confidante Miami / Andaz Miami Beach - Unbound - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:14 am
Visconti

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Of course, you can't apply the TSU to the Cat 1-4 certs like you can to points reservations, so... trade-offs.
Ah, if can convince the family to come along, it'll be worth the points & TSU, if only for the extra room. I have some time for the Cat 4s, but should they expire, no biggie.

The whole scene is very Miami -- the pool, the beach, the bar/lobby. This place is in "Mid Beach" which is quieter than South Beach -- but still has a good vibe throughout. "South Beach" is from 20th south down to 1st -- it's a madhouse on the weekend (think Duval Street in Key West, etc.) but a fun time and worth walking through once if you've never been (personally I would just walk up Ocean Drive from say 5th to 15th Street and then pop into a bar... I like "Lost Weekend" for the pool tables and good bar food, open until 4am -- you might find me there later tonight...). I mentioned the Lincoln Road pedestrian mall above, that's also very Miami feeling and less madhouse-y.
That sounds really interesting and a fun way to spend an evening. By the way, have to ask these days, safe walking around the area at night with a family?

If you like food, I would recommend popping into Little Havana (the neighborhood) -- watch the old Cubans play dominoes in the park and then hit up Old's Havana restaurant for a proper Cuban sandwich, vaca frita, or ropa vieja (and a proper mojito with fresh sugar cane to gnaw on). I could go on.
I'm definitely doing this, and also will see if I can find some good cigars in there somewhere!

Originally Posted by js1993
That's a good walk for getting a taste of South Beach (except for News Cafe being closed), but SoFi ("South of Fifth") is where the classier places are now: Prime 112 (and the other Prime offshoots), Joe's, S&W, etc. If one is going to venture south from The Confidante, SoFi is the place to go.
LOL...after the "too many beautiful people" there comment, perhaps I should avoid that on this trip, and...ah...wait for a more appropriate time to enjoy the...er...view.