FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:49 pm
RTWSTARALLIANCE

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Grand Hyatt San Francisco report 11/12/2004

Preface: I have a couple FFNs which I had not yet used. I thought this would be a good Hotel to use one on. I at first could only get a reservation at the HR SF and then a few days ago was able to get the GH.

Rate: FFN

Transportation: Just my feet. Walked over here from the Westin St. Francis. As a FYI. The City has a strike action at a number of hotels and this is one of them. When you face the front entrance there is a door off to the left up some brick stairs which is a much more quiet entrance. Between the Levi store and the GH. Pass by the Concierge desk over to check-in.

Check-in: This process is the worst I have experienced in years. The staff is incompetent. I called the front desk of this Hotel at 10:14 this morning to see if my room was ready. I was told guests had left and a rush would be put on the room. It would be ready in one hour. I went to the Hotel at 12:35 PM and after finally getting to the front of the line told the room was not ready. The gentleman looked at me funny as people denied speaking with me about the promised check-in time. A lady was found who had not been asked admitted speaking with me. I told the gentleman I needed to get back to a meeting. It was impossible for them to even get me pre-registered. I just called the Hotel at 1:57 PM and the room is still not ready. Will advise when checked in. I was told my room number and that it will be on the Club floor. I was finally able to check-in around 3:00 PM. As promised the room was on a Club floor w/ Lounge access of course.

Perks: Offered amenity as Diamond member. Took the milk and cookies.

Room: I was surprised to find the room larger than I thought. The room is a corner room so the bedroom area is a total box with a pop out area with vanity table, closet and bathroom. So a good size. The furniture is ok but dated with a large tv cabinet, a marble at the entry for small items, good size bed, couple of comfy chairs and work desk. The Lounge is located on the same floor. The Lounge has nice views of the bay and is a decent size. I took a look at 5:00 PM exactly and the room was full of people awaiting food items. A so so spread. All and all I was pleasantly surprised by the room and Lounge. The Hotels lobby is dated and needs a renovation.

Communication: Wired high speed internet was available for a price I believe. I noted a number of people using pcs in the Lounge so I assume they were able to catch a wi fi signal. Can someone advise if this is complimentary?

Closing: Once again pleasantly surprised with the room and size. The Lounge was ok with nice views. A better room and location than the HR. Better location than PH. A big plus being the Lounge which neither of the prior hotels has.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Nov 12, 2004 at 6:45 pm