FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:27 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Filler03
Tried searching a few pages back and didnt see. Can someone remind me, are ETCs TRAVEL by expiration date or BOOK by expiration date? Same with FFC?
ETCs are solely a form of payment, and always have been - so those are definitely book by.

FFCs are supposed to be ‘begin travel by’ - typically that begin travel by date used to be 1 year from date of issue of the original itinerary, but those have been extended during the pandemic - and the ones issued prior to this year were all extended so the begin travel date is 12/31/22. However, while those are the published rules, I do wonder how the system would handle someone trying to enter them in the payment page, since you can do that now, for a travel date later than that. The schedule isn’t open past that date yet (I don’t think), so I don’t know that there has been real world experience, but would be interesting to figure that out. Wonder if this will be tried a lot more closer to the fall of 22 and beyond.