FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Fleet Updates [2022 Edition]
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:13 am
dmurphynj

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by itripreport
Considering these are meant to be domestic, my guess would be should United retrofit the Domestic 777s, they'd either install a modified version of the current domestic first class seat, or a new recliner style seat. I highly doubt we'll see them install the current Polaris seat. Although tbh id rather keep the current horrid dorm seats over a recliner.

Now, just patiently waiting for United to being the domestic cabin retrofits... cuz that 2025 deadline is starting to seem a tad bit too ambitious... anyone got any idea when retrofits should begin?
I get the logic but I hope that's not on *anyone's* radar. They should have more than enough Diamond and/or 2-4-2 seats (I forget who built those!) hanging around to retrofit or update any birds that need them.

Given that we're hearing the A321's are slated for lie-flats, I sure hope like heck they wouldn't downgrade any transcon-style birds (like those domestic 777's) to recliners. Not sure there's any cost savings to be had in doing so except maybe packing more self-loading cargo in. And even then, I'm not sure a recliner layout would allow any more seating.

As a domestic flyer, I get kinda grumpy when management treats domestic flights like a Greyhound. Truly, there's little stage length difference between, say, EWR-SFO and EWR-LHR. The fact that the service is so dramatically different makes me bonkers. (Of course, I say that as someone who only crosses the border for vacation reasons, never for work ....)