FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:08 am
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lancelot21
That's great. In October, I ordered a box of three tests...but, through some fluke, they sent me six tests. They all expire (even with the three month FDA extension) between today (Dec 19) and early January. Mrs Lancelot and I used two of the tests. I would have liked to use them again for a trip in January, but they'll all be expired.
Don't throw them away or anything. From my research, the expiration situation is a bit fluid. (I am by no means an expert, so verify before relying on this...)

My understanding is the Emergency Use Authorization allowed them with a specified expiration date, but as research, testing, and experience with the tests continues to develop the manufacturer can petition the FDA to extend the expiration, which has been done before. If the tests show continued reliability over time, they can theoretically extend the expiration multiple more times.
The difficult part will be knowing what the actual expiration is before trying to take the test. I really hope they would put a function on the app where you can scan the QR code and get the updated expiration date. Seems like that would be fairly easy to do.

Originally Posted by myperks
The emed proctored and the emed non proctored test card and everything are all the same. I wonder if anyone used a non proctored test card and the proctor scanning the serial will alert them to a non proctored test card.
While the test contents are the same, the QR code on the test will indicate which version you purchased. You will not be able to use a regular "at home" test kit for the proctored process.