FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Thoughts from The Crew of UA Flight xxx
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:08 am
prestonh

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Since I think that people's concentration span is that of a cricket, any attempt to deliver the information in a way that captures attention is good. When I was young I had an oxygen mask fly out of my hand when we were displaying that it had to be pulled to get the oxygen to flow and the thing hit me hard enough to make me squawk. Two people burst out laughing and the cabin collectively stopped reading the paper and watched to see what they had missed,
OK, in the communications/service world insulting the attention span/intelligence of the people/customers you are trying to communicate with is usually not a good place to start and is likely not going to solve the communications issue. If people are not receiving the message, the question is why. what are the barriers to communication? Do you know your audience? (mixed ages, languages, cultures...the nuances of the english language are many, time zones, personal distress etc.). Do you know your subject? how many times has the briefing been jumbled, interrupted, in error, read from a script, etc. people learn to tune out errant or 'noise'. Is the message clear and concise or is it mixed with other messages easy to miss (adverts, flight/service announcements that are easy to tune out, etc.). Does the PA system always work the way you think it does? Adults learn/retain information by working through a problem/concept, not by being lectured/told to do something, so a safety briefing usually gets tuned out just because of how brains are wired.

So it's not really that all folks have low attention spans. it is the environment/learning environment you face. Some awareness of this would help in communicating the message instead of generalizing all customers as having low attention spans. Have a nice day.