FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 BA Suspended Routes, Changes in The BA Network, Speculation & Discussion
Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:50 pm
1Aturnleft

Originally Posted by BAeuro
BA will end flights to Bilbao on 25th March 2022. After that, Vueling will fly Gatwick to Bilbao and BACF London City to San Sebastian (July/Aug). The destination was launched in 2015, double daily from Heathrow, before moving to Gatwick in 2019. It then reverted back to Heathrow in 2020.

I will be honest, it seems an odd route to axe given that it is heavy on leisure and VFR traffic. A simple Fri + Sun service would have sufficed.
Pre pandemic BIO always offered up a good alternative Avios routing to get from ALC-LHR without having to transit Madrid. And the timings were very agreeable too. However the BIO-LHR flight loads were nearly always extremely low. Despite often being good for Avios availability, I found paid fares (especially those with IB connections to other Spanish cities) to be exorbitantly expensive. Low yields would most likely make BIO better fit for Vueling .... which can still be booked as a BA codeshare for the tier points hungry amongst us. I'm sure the BA frame will be better utilised on other more lucrative routes this summer