FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled Delta Flight?
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:52 am
steex

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
This is more information/questions than I can process quickly, but here's a few thoughts:
  • Your flight could be canceled at any time, there's no minimum timeframe to this. The obvious examples would be mechanical problems or weather issues encountered at the time of departure - that could very well result in a cancel with no notice. If the airline finds out 90 minutes before the flight that a crew member has tested positive for covid and they can't find replacement, the likely outcome will still be a cancel.
  • Delta may have rebooked you to a co-terminal airport to try to get you out ASAP - I've not had it happen without my request, but not hard to imagine it happening. I've certainly had swaps between ORD/MDW, SFO/SJC/OAK, or NYC airports intentionally.
  • Once things have gone wrong, the Delta App is usually pretty decent about allowing you to search for new flights (either from same airport or a suitable alternate). I would suggest being proactive to find a new flight you like NOW rather than waiting. The longer you wait, the more seats on other flights are taken up by other people in your same situation trying to rebook.
Edit to add: In general, I would be proactive about checking your flight status during the hectic holiday travels with frequent covid cancellations, not rely upon being notified.