FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:38 pm
hyedmd

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by maradori
Got a question, would love to hear people's perspectives on it

I'm booking travel SFO-MCO for Nov 2022. The nonstop costs $199 in non-saver main cabin, F is $499. If I choose "MVP 75K upgrade", the upgradeable fare is $399 and if I choose MVP Gold Guest, the upgradeable fare is $219. However, both SFO-MCO and MCO-SFO are showing F in a white box, so I can't get upgrade after booking. In such a scenario, what is the best course of action - book the $199, $219, or $399 fare? Or put another way, is there any point paying extra if you can't confirm upgrade immediately after booking?

Thank you in advance!! (aside: if anyone else is going to edc orlando, send me a dm!!)

I believe that F icons are for MVP® Gold guest upgrades. If you're flying by yourself, then you don't need to worry about them. In this case, if you want to pay for the F fare (to get 1.75 EQM and AS lounge access), then it makes sense to get the upgradable fare because it often (but not always for whatever reason) is cheaper. If extra EQM and lounge access don't matter for you, you may want to purchase the main cabin and you'll get an automatic complimentary upgrade request to the F seats (link)